1) Beginning June 2, 2010, DPPL patrons will only be able to "Place Holds" in the Catalog on items owned by the Des Plaines Public Library. Holds placed on items owned only by other libraries will not be accepted by the online system. We know our patrons have become very accustomed to using this convenient system. However, there are still other means by which you can borrow items from other libraries - keep reading.
2) Holds that DPPL patrons have placed in the past but that have not yet been filled will remain valid. We will review those holds individually and determine the best way to fill the request. A staff person will contact you about your options.
3) The primary reason for these changes is the loss of daily van delivery service to the Des Plaines Public Library. This service was provided for free by the North Suburban Library System. The system received its funding from the state of Illinois. Due to the state budget crisis, this is no longer an option.
We know that many patrons rely on this inter-library delivery service to return items borrowed from neighboring libraries as well. We will continue to receive van delivery service twice a week, at least through September 15, 2010. It may take longer to get items to the originating library but they will be returned. If timeliness is a concern, you may want to consider making the trip yourself.
4) Need an item we do not own? Remember, your DPPL library card is valid at libraries across the state. We are considering a number of options by which you will be able to request such items through our Web site. In the meantime, we advise you to:
- Speak to a staff member in person, via telephone, email or our "Text A Librarian" service (text 66746, type dppl in the body of your msg);
- Try WorldCat as an alternative. WorldCat is an extensive catalog of libraries around the world. Search by author, title, subject or keyword. When you find an item that IS NOT OWNED BY DPPL, click the link that reads: Borrow this item from another library (Interlibrary Loan) and fill in the online form. This service has worked well for many years and provides a great alternative to the "Place Holds" option in our Catalog. It may not be as fast as local van delivery but we know how important it is for our patrons to be able to borrow and enjoy items from a wide variety of libraries.Please be aware that you cannot request items through WorldCat that our library owns, even if they are currently checked out.
Want to read more?