- Tomorrow, Friday, May 14, 2010 - the Library and Mobile Library are closed all day for staff training. We will reopen at our regular hour on Saturday, May 15, 2010. While we're closed, you can always use the online features on our Web site: www.dppl.org
- Since we'll be closed on Friday, you can participate in what might truly be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, the homecoming parade and mini-concert by American Idol contestant Lee DeWyze in neighboring Mt. Prospect and Arlington Heights. Learn more details from the Daily Herald.
- With all the rain we got overnight, it's hard to imagine those dog days of summer, when your lawn and outdoor gardens will be parched. Why not purchase a rain barrel? The City is hosting a rain barrel sale. The barrels are $55 each, come in a variety of colors and are a wonderful way to save money and water. Get all the details. You can order online and pick up your barrel at Public Works in a few weeks.
- This Saturday, May 15, 2010, don't miss the Park District's Spring Fun Fair, taking place from 9 AM to noon. The activities are centralized around Mountain View Adventure Center, 510 E. Algonquin Road, in Des Plaines, as well as a few other locales in that area. "Touch-A-Truck," Pooch, Pet & Pedal Parade, Kite Fly, Bike Safety Course, Climbing Wall, and the Aquafina "Pitch, Hit and Run" competition are just some of the family-friendly activities, most of which are free or very low cost. More details.
- Next week, May 20-May 23, 2010, representatives of veteran organizations will be selling traditional red poppies for "Poppy Day," with proceeds benefiting hospitalized veterans. Please be generous!
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Here's a quick look at library and community news you need.