Thanks for visiting. We aren't actively blogging here anymore. Please visit us on our new site.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Become a U.S. Citizen - Hágase Ciudadano

The workshop below has passed. However, there will be another citizenship workshop at the Des Plaines Public Library on Saturday, December 5, 2009, from 9 AM to noon. Get more details on this online events calendar.

This Saturday, January 19, 2008, the New Americans Initiative is hosting a citizenship workshop at Maryville's Stein Community Center in Des Plaines.
The workshop is from 9 AM to 12 PM.

Cuándo: Sábado, 19 de Enero de 9 AM-12 mediodía

Maryville Stein Community Center
1150 N. River Road
Des Plaines, IL

Services provided/Servicios que ofrecemos:
Photographs/Fotografias ($10)
Free application assistance/Ayuda para llenar la solicitud de ciudadanía - GRATIS
Free legal consultation, regarding citizenship/Consulta legal sobre la ciudadanía - GRATIS
Registration for citizenship classes/Matrícula para clases de ciudadanía

Who is eligible for citizenship?/¿Quiénes son elegibles para la ciudadanía?
  • Those who have been a legal permanent resident of the U.S. for at least five (5) years, OR,
  • Those who have been a legal permanent resident for three (3) years and are currently married to a U.S. citizen and have been married to that U.S. citizen for at least three (3) years.

  • Personas que han tenido la tarjeta de residencia permanente legal ("green card") por 5 años, O,
  • Personas que han tenido la tarjeta de residencia permanente legal ("green card") por 3 años y han estado casados con un ciudadano americano por lo menos 3 años.

For more information or to make an individual appointment: 312-357-4666

Si no puede asistir al taller de ciudadanía, haga una cita llamando al: 312-357-4666

Click here for an informational brochure with important instructions.
En español.

  • Un giro postal de $675.00 a nombre de: USCIS.
  • Si tiene 75 años o más, un giro postal de $595.00.
  • Su tarjeta de residencia (mica), su seguro social y su licencia de manejar o identificación.
  • Si estudió aquí: el nombre de la escuela y las fechas en que asistió.
  • Una lista de las direcciones en donde ha vivido por los últimos 5 años (con fechas)Todos los lugares y fechas en donde ha trabajado en los últimos 5 años.
  • Todas las fechas en que ha viajado fuera de los Estados Unidos desde que obtuvo su residencia.
  • Sí está casado deberá tener los siguientes datos de su cónyuge: nombre, fecha de nacimiento, seguro social (si lo tiene), número de residencia o en caso de que su cónyuge sea ciudadano, la fecha que en que se naturalizó.
  • Sí usted estuvo casado anteriormente deberá traer la fecha en que comenzó y terminó el matrimonio anterior.
  • Sí su cónyuge actual estuvo casado anteriormente deberá traer la fecha en que comenzó y terminó el matrimonio anterior.
  • Sí tiene hijos: los nombres, fechas de nacimiento, números de residencia y sus direcciones (si no viven con usted).
  • Hombres que vivieron en los EEUU entre los 18 a 26 años de edad deberían tener: el número de Servicio Selectivo y la fecha de registro. Si no se ha registrado con el Servicio Selectivo, llame al (847) 688-6888 y regístrese antes de aplicar por la ciudadanía.
  • Sí alguna vez fue detenido: indicar el motivo, el lugar y la fecha en que ocurrió y los resultados de esa detención.


  • MONEY ORDER, made out to USCIS for $675.00. (For people 75 and older, money order for $595.00 to USCIS.)
  • GREEN CARD (Alien Registration Card)
  • Home addresses for the past 5 years (with dates)
  • Your height (feet/inches) and weight (pounds).
  • If you are/were a student: name of school(s) and dates attended
  • Employer names & addresses for the past 5 years (with dates)
  • Dates when you left the United States and returned (day, month & year)
  • Information about your husband or wife: birth date, marriage date, social security number, Alien (Green Card) number, immigration status
  • (e.g. “permanent resident”). If husband or wife became a naturalized citizen: date and place of naturalization
  • If you or your current husband or wife were married before: information about previous marriages — name, marriage date, divorce date, immigration status of previous spouse
  • Information about your children: full names, date and country of birth, Alien (Green Card) number, current address
  • For men who have lived in the U.S. between 18 & 26, Selective Service number & date of registration. If you have not registered for Selective Service, you must do so before applying for citizenship. (847) 688-6888
Continue the American Dream - Become a U.S. Citizen!
Continue Con El Sueño Americano - Hágase Ciudadano

Co-Sponsored by the Office of Hispanic Catholics, Vicariate I, of the Archdiocese of Chicago.


  1. i,m a49year old woman who was entered by my parents at the of 3 illegaly from mexico ,I grew up in the state of florida , at the age of 19, i married a puerto rican .i,ve been married since 1980 have 3 grown children and 5 grand kids. with all of these factors do i still have to take the citizenship test to become a citizen

  2. Hello Anonymous, I'm not sure if you will see my response here, but I'll try anyway. There is something called "Citizenship Through Naturalization," which means earning citizenship without taking the test, etc. You may qualify for that - the only thing I can see that might be an issue is that your parents entered the U.S. illegally. However, given the length of your marriage to a U.S. citizen, it is still possible. A good place to start is reading the information at the U.S. Citizenship/Immigration Services Web site: here's a link to the page about naturalization, including for spouses of U.S. citizens:
    If you are still in Florida, see if a local church or other organization can privately get you some information on citizenship, so you can get the facts and find someone to talk with. I hope this is helpful to you and good luck in pursuing U.S. citizenship.


Please feel free to post your comments and thoughts. We love to hear from you.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.